Meanwhile in California...
by Jessi Purviance
I live in the city now.
A cacophony of sounds. Some little kids are rollerblading in the alleyway, running into the dumpster to stop. A train rattles by. The constant stream of traffic on 'the 10' freeway. My downstairs neighbors are Middle Eastern and today they're having a big, loud family get together. A helicopter thrums overhead. Air conditioners struggle to keep up.
Being outside is unbearable most of the day. I close my blinds and crank up the air conditioner. It drowns out most of the city noise. Heat pours in around the edges of the windows.
But the evenings. The evenings are lovely.
I can still hear the city, but I don't mind so much.
Past the palm trees, the pinks have faded, while the oranges deepen. Crickets have started singing for me.
Below the mountains, the city lights start shimmering.
I never thought I would end up here.
Oranges have deepened almost to reds. Soon the colors will slip behind the mountains for the night.
The sky is fading into darkness. Coyotes yip to each other across the foothills.
I am not a city girl, but I am thankful to be here in this city.





